Potato gnocchi is an Italian pasta made with potatoes, flour, and eggs. It is a popular comfort food that is frequently served with various kinds of sauces, such as tomato, butter and sage, or pesto. Gnocchi is simple to prepare, but it takes some skill to acquire the correct texture and consistency.
The dough should be soft and fluffy, with just enough chewiness. Potato gnocchi is soft, pillowy, and delicious when prepared right. It is a popular meal worldwide, appreciated by both meat eaters and vegetarians. For more potato recipes, read our blog on delicious potato recipes.
Let’s see the ingredients and procedure for preparing the potato gnocchi.
List of ingredients
The ingredients are mentioned below.
For making the gnocchi
- Potatoes (clean but unpeeled; not new potatoes) – 1 pound
- Flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg (room temperature) – 1 medium-sized
For making the sauce
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons (40 grams)
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped garlic cloves – 1 to 2 large
- Oregano – 1 teaspoon
- 5 basil leaves, diced
- Hot pepper flakes – 2 dashes (optional)
- 1 can of pelati tomatoes with sauce
- Water – 1/2 cup
Follow the steps mentioned below to prepare this recipe.
Preparing the gnocchi
- In a large pot, boil potatoes until cooked. Remove from the pot and chill before peeling. After that, pass them through a potato ricer.
- Combine the salt and flour together, keep on a flat surface, form a well in the center, and add the egg and potatoes.
- Mix the ingredients with your fingers and prepare a soft dough that is not sticky.
- Cut small portions of dough and place them on a surface.
- Make ropes from the dough and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces, then slide the pieces on a fork and press a little.
- To prevent them from sticking together, sprinkle a little flour over them and toss. Let the gnocchi rest for about 20 minutes, then cook.
Preparing the sauce
- Make the sauce when the gnocchi is resting. In a large saucepan, combine the olive oil, salt, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, hot pepper flakes, basil leaves, and water.
- Stir to blend, then cover and boil it over medium heat till it thickens.
- Remove the lid for the final few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
Cooking the gnocchi
- Cook the gnocchi in a big saucepan of boiling salted water.
- When the gnocchi are done, they will float to the top.
- Drain the gnocchi and add to the prepared sauce, along with a little amount of pasta water, and cook for about 30 seconds, carefully tossing.
- Serve it immediately. You can also garnish it with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Now you’ve got a detailed idea about how to prepare potato gnocchi. Make this delectable meal for buffets, birthdays, potlucks, and kitten parties, among other events. On your next get-together, you may also try this exotic and special recipe and enjoy it with your family and friends.