Many people enjoy mac and cheese as a classic comfort dish. It blends delicate macaroni and creamy, melted cheese to create a filling and tasty dish. This time-tested favourite is versatile and customizable, making it a on-the-go option for a quick and delicious meal.
In this article we have a two varieties of mac and cheese for you. One is baked mac and cheese, and the other is vegan mac and cheese.
Baked Mac and Cheese
So, let’s start with our first variant, baked mac and cheese.
- Elbow noodles
- All-Purpose flour
- Prepared mustard
- Garlic Powder
- White pepper with salt
Let’s see the steps to make baked mac and cheese.
- Start by shredding some cheese, probably 8 ounces, while a big pot of water is heating up. You can combine any cheese that melts nicely, although cheddar is the traditional choice. Thus, chop up the entire 8-ounce block. You may need a substantial cheese pile in the end. But, for now, we’ll put the cheese aside and go to the burner.
- Bring water to a boil in a pan to cook the pasta. It will take around 7 minutes to cook 1 pound of dry elbow noodles. Some recipes call for cooking the pasta right in the sauce. But I’m not a big fan of that method since the sauce tastes starchy and better when we cook the pasta separately.
- You should ensure the pan is good and large since this is where we will cook all of the pasta and add it to the sauce. Melt 1/2 cup of salted butter at first over low heat. Then, add half a cup of all-purpose flour. You will now use 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder, one teaspoon of salt, and the last 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper.
- Next, cook the above combination, known as a roux, for one to two minutes. After that, we’ll add 3 cups of milk. I prefer to use 2% milk for this. Then we’ll boil this for a while. Simply wait until bubbles form; turn off the heat, add all of our cheddar cheese, and stir until the cheese melts.
- We’ll now add the pasta into our cheese sauce, combine everything, and call it good! The whole family will like your quick, delectable, cheesy macaroni and cheese.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Below are the ingredients and steps to prepare vegan mac and cheese.
- Whole-grain elbow macaroni – 8 ounces
- 1 head of broccoli, roughly 1 ½ to 2 cups of finely chopped broccoli florets (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil – 1½ tablespoons
- Chopped yellow onion – 1 small or around 1 cup
- Peeled and shredded russet potato – 1 cup or 4 ounces (ideally organic)
- Minced or pressed garlic cloves – 3
- Garlic powder – ½ teaspoon
- Onion powder – ½ teaspoon
- Dry mustard powder – ½ teaspoon
- Fine sea salt – ½ teaspoon or more as desired
- Red pepper flakes – a small pinch
- Raw cashews – ⅔ cup
- Water – 1 cup or more if needed
- Nutritional yeast – ¼ cup
- Distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (to taste) – 2-3 teaspoons
Let’s see the steps to make a vegan mac and cheese recipe.
- Take a big pot and boil the pasta in salted water. Cook the pasta as directed on the package. When there are only 2 to 3 minutes left, mix in the broccoli if using. After draining the liquid, transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium to large-sized saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat. Now, add the chopped onions and a little salt, and simmer, frequently stirring, for about 5-6 minutes or maybe until the onions become soft and translucent.
- Add the shredded potatoes together with the garlic, onion, mustard, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. To bring out their flavors, combine everything and simmer for about a minute while constantly stirring.
- Add the water and cashews and mix well after adding them. Simmer the mixture for a while. You should simmer the potatoes for another 5 to 8 minutes or until they are thoroughly soft and cooked through. Stir constantly and reduce the heat as required to avoid a quick boil.
- Put the mixture into the blender carefully. Add 2 teaspoons of vinegar and the nutritional yeast. Blend till the mixture is perfectly smooth for around 2 minutes, frequently stopping to wipe down the sides if required. If the mixture is difficult to blend or you would like a thinner texture, add water in increments of 1/4 cup, blending after each addition.
- Taste and add more salt as needed till the sauce is completely seductive. You can add the extra teaspoon of vinegar if you think it needs a bit extra zing. Blend it again.
- Spoon the sauce over the pasta. Mix thoroughly, then serve right away.
Leftovers keep nicely, cold, and covered for 3-4 days. Reheat gently, loosening the sauce if necessary with a little splash of water.
We hope you loved both the varieties of mac and cheese. Make these recipe now and share them with your loved ones.