The simple chocolate crepes are amazing and equally good as the plain variety, with a fluffy texture and chocolate flavor, providing a double treat to please all chocolate lovers.
This excellent and yummy French crepes recipe with cocoa powder flavoring shows you how to make simple chocolate crepes. These tender chocolate crepes are ideal for pairing with preferred fillings.
It is normal to prepare the traditional French crepes recipe on Christmas. Still, this chocolate crepes recipe has become so delicious that it may be prepared anytime and consumed without regard to a particular holiday or festival.
An Important Tip – Selection of Cocoa Powder
The crepe batter gets its chocolate taste from cocoa powder. It has an acidic and bitter flavor, countered by adding additional sugar. In the recipe, we usually use ordinary, 100% cocoa powder. Compared to Dutch-processed cocoa powder, marketed as “dark cocoa powder,” it is slightly lighter in color and more acidic.
The alkalized cocoa has a less acidic flavor, and the process darkens the powder’s color. You can use either. Crepes made with Dutch-processed flour will have a deeper color, and the powder will mix into the batter more easily.
Chocolate Crepes Recipe
Now let’s jump to the recipe.
Ingredients For Chocolate Crepes Batter
A few simple ingredients are frequently present in our cabinets that you can use to prepare chocolate crepes at home. There are many delicious crepe recipes, but they all use the same ingredients and proportions, resulting in a more or less thick batter.
- Flour – 100 gm (Use white wheat all-purpose flour, preferably a gluten-free blend).
- Eggs – 3 (Use large eggs which are at room temperature).
- Milk – 360 ml (Preferable half-skimmed or whole milk, but we can also use a plant-based beverage like almond or oat milk in its place).
- Sugar – 50 gm (For crepes with additional taste, add one tablespoon of powdered brown sugar or white sugar).
- Butter – 45 gm (It’s optional. However, we can add some melted unsalted butter for soft crepes. Although you can use neutral vegetable oil in its place, butter has a stronger flavor).
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons (Important to bring out all the tastes).
- Cocoa – 40 gm (To flavor, the crepe batter only uses bitter, unsweetened cocoa powder).
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
For making chocolate crepes, you need to prepare the batter first. Then, proceed to other steps. So, let’s start reading the recipe.
- How to prepare the batter for crepes
You can use a whisk or a blender to make the chocolate crepe batter. Due to its rapid and simple preparation, the latter is preferable. They both need to be strained and allowed to rest in the refrigerator for an hour to get a smooth consistency. You can prepare the batter for the crepes two days in advance, store it in the refrigerator, and combine it before cooking.
Combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar) in a separate bowl. Next, melt the butter into the mixture. Then combine the flour mixture with a wet mixture of eggs, water, milk, and vanilla.
The fastest method to make a soft batter in a few minutes is to use a high-speed countertop blender. First, combine the wet ingredients, then add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. It prevents flour pockets from forming at the bottom of the mixer cup. On medium speed, mix for almost 45 seconds.
- Strain the batter to get an even texture
To get rid of any flour lumps from hand mixing or big bubbles from blending, strain the mixture. Then, to allow the proteins to rest and the flour to hydrate, cover and place in the fridge.
- Allow the batter to rest
Although it may be tempting to assemble the crepes immediately, chill the batter in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. It allows the starch granules in the flour to absorb water for optimal gelling. When cooked, it softens the crepes. The newly formed gluten proteins have a chance to soften up, resulting in a non-rubbery texture.
For a better-tasting crepe, completely dissolve the cocoa powder and salt. The batter would therefore thicken until it reached the consistency of chocolate milk. If it’s too thick, dilute it with 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Using a little butter or coconut oil, grease a crepe pan and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Pour a small amount of chocolate crepe batter into the pan and move it around in circular motions until the batter makes a thin layer in the pan.
- Cook for 1 – 2 minutes, flip with a rubber spatula, and cook for the same duration on the other side.
- The baked chocolate crepe can be served warm with your preferred filling or placed on a plate.
Few Ingredients For Filling and Topping
- Fresh apple sauce
- Melting apples or pears and salted caramel sauce
- Praline paste
- Vanilla ice cream, bananas, and nutella
- Apple slices and brown sugar seasoned with cinnamon
- Fresh fruit jam
- Cheese, cream
- Cherry pie sauce
You can prepare chocolate crepes quickly and easily. Hopefully, after reading this article, you’ve got a detailed idea of how to make chocolate crepes. So try the recipe at home and enjoy a delicious meal.